Monday, October 17, 2011

The Features of Shaks

Its me Julian. I'm here to blog about my favorite thing in science, sharks because  You might think as sharks as the scariest thing ever because it can kill you. They are known as the worst thing in the ocean. Actually we kill more of them than they kill us. Most of them are not dangerous to humans.

 Yes, I know the title is spelled wrong but if you listen to this video you will know what I'm talking about.




   THE FACTS
      I know you think there are not a lot of species of sharks. Well, there are over 400 species of sharks. Yes, the big 4-0-0. Out of those 400 species only 30 species are dangerous to us humans and 12 attack humans on a regular basis. In this picture there are only some of the species out of the 400.



.

.
You might not know the shape of a shark. Maybe you can't describe the shape. Well not all sharks have the same shape. Most of them have a torpedo shaped body. Yes like an actual torpedo. If you think, what does a torpedo shaped shark look like? Well it looks like this:







They look so alike.

You never ever want to touch a shark because you're afraid it is going to bite you. Well to find out how a shark feels biologists had to touch the sharks. They rubbed them from head to tail and they felt smooth. When they rubbed it from tail to head the skin felt rough like sandpaper.

 I bet you they thought it is weird to have the different textures, but it is true. It depends upon your body. Our bodies feel smooth up or down.

    I guarantee you that you don't know what a baby shark is called. They are called pups. When you think of pups you think of small dogs. You can't really tell the difference between a baby shark and an adult shark. Its size is different and how it lives is different. You think the baby sharks are cuter than the adult sharks, but they are the same.



      You never want to see or even touch a sharks teeth, right? The shape of a sharks teeth are triangular. Our teeth are squared in a way. Triangular teeth that are sharper compared to our square teeth. So they must be able to take a way stronger bite than us, but some sharks can't take that big hard bite like us. You think how many rows of teeth do the sharks have. It has three rows of teeth on each jaw! So if one falls out a new one comes in. It it is like a factory.


    Do you ever wonder how many senses a shark has? You probably don't but i'm am still gonna tell you any ways. Unlike us sharks have 6 senses and we have 5. When they are hunting for food if that type of shark has bad eye sight it can sense the electricity waves from the other fish and than eat them. Don't you wish we had that awesome sense. The smell is great for a shark. It can smell blood from a mile away. If I had that sense of smell I would go to Chick- Fil-A right away. Most sharks have good eye sight, but their sense of smell is way better.


3 Cool Sharks
     The first shark that I picked is the megamouth shark. I picked this shark because I thought it had a big mouth. Thats why it is called a megamouth shark.



     It weighs 3000 lbs. You think that is alot, but it is not even close to the heaviest shark in the world. It is  15 ft. in length. It swims from 4 mph. to 11.3 mph. That is about how fast an average human can run. Right? The megamouth shark can live up to 25 years. That is pretty long for a shark. They swim in hot and warm water in the deep ocean. It is not dangerous so don't be afraid. The megamouth shark eats plankton and jellyfish, 2 totally different things. They are extremely rare to find. Scientist don't know if they are endangered.




      The second shark I picked is the cat shark. I picked this because I love cats, but it looks nothing like a  cat.

     
     It weighs  10 lbs. which is a little bit more than a new born baby. It is really small at 3 ft. tall. It can live up to 15 years. They live in hot and warm water. It is not dangerous so don't be scared. They like to eat small fish, squid, and mollusks. So many choices. It is not endangered so there must be many of them.
  


    The  third and final shark I picked is the dusky shark. I picked this because it has a weird name. Listen to this DUSKY shark.

     The dusky shark weighs a strong 350 lbs. It is pretty tall at 13 ft. It can go 20 mph. Which is fast for a human. It can live up to 30 years . That is long for a shark. It lives on coastal waters . That means it lives near land. It is dangerous so watch out. It eats fish and squid. It doesn't have that many choices. It is almost endangered so don't kill it. FUN FACT: The dusky shark has the strongest bite out of all sharks.
    Well, I hoped you learned something about sharks. If you didn't post a comment. Well see ya next time

11 comments:

  1. Julian you were good at facts, and you could have more videos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juju, That was a good blog.Though i saw a small little grammer issue, well that's not the thing. You need to put yourself in there a little more. Ya know, that juju I know. Write the same facts, except in YOUR own words. I think you should juju-fy it a little more. But other than that, you did great. Your doing better on each post. Keeping going forward!
    ~Zeina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, duncan im not sure. Because you don't have to put a lot of videos. I think that one video is better than none. And none is good too. I don't think there was a need for more videos, just because he gave all the facts and better facts that he could find in a video.

    ~Zeina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duncan barely any of us know how to do videos and we only need 1 or 2 videos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julian, that was a good blog! Maybe one of your best! I do agree with Zeina and totally not Dunacn because One viedo is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your right, but I can tell you guys

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how to do it mr. sellers thought me. We only need one or two videos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah i give u a 4 out of 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job! I loved the video, I thought it was so cute! You had a few grammar errors, but that's okay. You just need to pay a little more attention to that! I loved your facts they were very interesting, but you could have used more pictures. Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job, Julian! You did awesome! You put your personality in it. I could absolutely tell it was you writing this. I do love your information; I learned something! Maybe you could make the pictures bigger, but I like how you put a visual after every picture. You were amazing, Julian, you really were. I liked how you put a video; so far, none of your other classmates did. Good job, Julian, and keep up the good work! -Live Long, Stay Strong

    ReplyDelete